Homemade sausage rolls have always been a favourite of mine, they remind me of childhood birthday parties and helping Mum make them on the weekends. I also always find that homemade ones taste ten times better than store-bought ones. So much more flavour! And that fresh, crispy pastry mm delicious!
These sausage rolls are a bit different though, they’re vegetarian. And no, that doesn’t mean boring and tasteless. Instead, they are packed full of flavour and deliciousness and will absolutely exceed your expectations!
It will keep well when stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze them for a quick and easy meal another day
Vegetarian Sausage Rolls
- 3 sheets puff pastry
- 1 brown onion
- 2 carrots
- 400 g ton of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 3 slices wholemeal bread
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 c. Remove pastry sheets from the freezer and allow to defrost.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the onion, carrots, chickpeas, parsley, mixed herbs, and bread until a fine crumb forms
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the chickpea mixture to the bowl and mix well.
- Slice the pastry sheets in half and divide the chickpea mixture amongst the pastry sheets. Shape the mixture into a sausage-like shape in the middle of the pastry sheet and roll the edges over to create a sausage roll.
- Place the sausage rolls seam down on a lined baking tray and cut into 4 pieces.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg and milk for the top and brush it over the sausage rolls. Then, sprinkle over the sesame seeds and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
For more main meal recipes, click here