A warm and homely meal packed full of flavour!
I have used half spaghetti and half zucchini spirals (zoodles) not because pasta is ‘bad’ (because it’s not! It’s delicious and a great source of fibre and whole grains), but as an easy way to include more veggies in your diet. For a lot of people, it can be hard to eat enough veggies and small tweaks like this make it a lot easier to achieve our daily 5 serves. I promise you it absolutely does not ruin the taste at all, in fact, it may even taste better!
If you want to save time you don’t have to bake the meatballs, instead you could cook the meatballs and sauce for a further 5 minutes in the pan, or until the meatballs are cooked through
This recipe is great for meal prep! Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or make a double batch of the meatballs and freeze half for a quick and easy meal another day
Healthy Baked Meatballs
- 500 g extra lean beef mince
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 700 g passata
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 100 g baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 2 zucchinis
- 250 g spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- In a bowl mix together the mince, oregano, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper.
- Roll the mince mixture into golf ball size balls
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Place the meatballs in the pan and brown on each side. Turning after roughly 2-3 minutes on each side
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and place in a large heatproof baking dish
- In the previous pan, mix together the garlic, passata, tomato paste, basil and water. Let it simmer for 2 minutes before mixing in the baby spinach. Simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the dish with the meatballs and top with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, spiralize the zucchini (or peel it into ribbons) and cook spaghetti according to packet instructions. After the spaghetti has cooked, don’t tip out the water.
- In the pasta water, blanch the zoodles for 2 minutes and then mix it with the cooked pasta
- Serve the zoodles and spaghetti with the meatballs and sauce.